A brief history of St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic of Otisco, NY

St. Patrick’s 1889

The first Mass, of which we have definite knowledge, was in 1853 in the private home of the Flannigan family.  At that time, the area was largely an Irish population settling here for the opportunity to farm and raise their families. The first St Patrick’s Church was completed on June 1, 1871 at a site approximately ¼ mile north of the present Church. The cemetery is located near this site. For Information regarding St. Patrick’s cemetery, contact (person and phone number).  Oral history has it that the first St. Patrick’s church burned down. St. Patrick’s as we know it today was begun at (the current location address) in early 1888 by the Reverend J.V Simmons and the cornerstone was laid on April 25, 1889. From the beginning, St. Patrick’s was established for services only. It has remained to this day, a mission church nestled in the hills and part of the larger diocesan community. Today that community is the Church of the Nativity.

St. Patrick’s 1889

The parish hall located across the street was acquired in (year). Since that time many renovations have taken place.  Dick Hughes led the parish hall project in (year). He, with many other parish members, contributed countless hours to the hall making it a fine place to host the parish Harvest dinner and Faith Formation classes.  The hall continues to be in use today by members of the Otisco community as well as St. Patrick’s parishioners. Should you wish to use the parish hall you may contact (person and contact information).

The basement of the church has seen major changes. With the leadership of, then pastor, Father Lou Aiello, the basement, which had a dirt floor, has been totally revamped.  Starting in (year) the walls, floors, and electrical services were totally revamped. The basement now includes a bathroom, a kitchen sink, a refrigerator, tables and chairs and a fire place. The religious education classes are held in the lower level as well as the well-attended Sunday morning coffee hour.

The Church of the Nativity includes Immaculate Conception of Pompey, St. Leo’s of Tully, and St. Joseph’s of Lafayette, as well as St. Patrick’s. St. Patrick’s remains a mission church with one mass at 10:30 AM Sunday morning. Times and dates for all services are on the website.